Just wanted to get my predictions out for the top 10 picks in the draft:
1. Washington Nationals – Bryce Harper – C – College of Southern Nevada – No brainer here, even if they invested heavily in Strasburg. They have to draft Bryce.
2. Pittsburgh Pirates – Zack Cox – 3B – Arkansas – Even though they won’t pick Zack here, they need help soon and a high school player is 3 – 4 years away.
3. Baltimore Orioles – Manny Machado – SS – High School – They have drafted so many pitchers in the past years top rounds, it’s time to invest in position players.
4. Kansas City Royals – Jameson Taillon – P – High School – Might be the best pitcher in the draft but after last year’s pitcher brigade, he falls to the Royals, who need some serious pitching help.
5. Cleveland Indians – Drew Pomeranz – P – University of Mississippi – Best college pitcher in the draft and the Indians need to restock the minor league pitching shelves.
6. Arizona Diamondbacks – Chris Sale – P – Florida Gulf Coast – Second best college pitcher in the draft and the D-Backs need a front line starter.
7. New York Mets – Yasmani Grandal – C – Miami – Mets love drafting position players in the draft’s early rounds and Grandal is the best of what’s available. He is a very consistent hitter and the Mets need that right now.
8. Houston Astros – Michael Choice – OF – UT Arlington – I just think the Astros need immediate help and although there are better high school position players out there, it’s a time issue and Choice seems likely to move through the system quickly.
9. San Diego Padres – Josh Sale – OF – HS – Josh is considered top 5 non- pitching talent and for the Padres to land him here, it would be a major win for the organization.
10. Oakland A’s – Christian Colon – SS – Fullerton – Christian is a college hitting machine and we all know Billy Beane likes the college route in the first round. Perfect fit with the A’s.
Next 5 Pitchers:
Next 5 Hitters:
Delino DeShields Jr.
As we all know baseball is the biggest crap shoot when it comes to the draft. This year’s crop is not quite as loaded as previous drafts, but there will probably be more major leaguers from this draft than last year’s first round. What did you think of my assessment? How would you change the order? Are there any sleepers you are waiting on?