I was thinking about what the heck I was going to write today and then after nothing I decided that I would do a random thoughts post today. So after a great weekend of football and college basketball here we go:
- Is it just me, or does this years NFL draft look awfully weak? Also if there is a lockout will underclassman stay for another year? At least more this year than any other.
- The best prospects in the NFL draft this year are non-high profile players. I just can’t buy into the Jake Locker / Andrew Luck hype machine. The card companies have their work cut out for them.
- Topps introduced Gypsy cards on the web last week. It’s the first retro set that I actually think might not make it to fruition. Who wants gemstone cards? take those away and you have another A&G want to be.
- Also if Topps would spend less time on making retro sets and more time in designing aesthetically pleasing cards, the card market might make a comeback.
- Topps Prime = UD Base, am I alone on this?
- Would Michael Vick excel like this on any other team? I mean if you dropped him in Seattle or Carolina (two teams that need a QB) would he excel? I’m thinking if he doesn’t go back to the Eagles, his best plays are in Minnesota or Phoenix, although KC might be a good fit too.
- Topps 5 star looks fantastic, but not $450 a box fantastic, can anyone say Stadium Club all over again?
- If Cardboard Concepts ever decided to make a Sports King set for the masses, I think it would do very very well. Makes you wonder why they haven’t committed to that yet. There is more demand for older players than rookies. A set of retired stars on a vintage card might work very well.
- Speaking of vintage, man I would love to see a tall boy set again. Sure there is no good way to keep them protected but, there is just something about a tall boy set that is so much fun to collect.
- The more I think about things the more I believe that the 1970’s had the best card designs. Why doesn’t Topps see this?
- Why resurrect the Leaf name only to sell MMA cards. I love the world of MMA but it makes for lousy sets.
- Can we all agree that exclusive contracts for cards and sports is a bad thing? A very bad thing?
- I think it’s time for the sports to realize that they can’t charge what they used to charge the card companies for licensing fees anymore. The industry is sinking because of it.
- Wouldn’t it be cool if a new company rose from the ashes and actually listened to it’s customer base?
- This years crop of baseball draft fodder is terrible. It might go down as one of the worst drafts in history. There is Gerit Cole and no one else.
- This year’s Winter Classic is going to suck, it’s time they moved it back to Canada where every winter classic deserves to be. Pittsburgh is not Classic worthy and neither is Washington. What I wouldn’t give to see a Toronto vs Montreal Winter Classic, or a Detroit / Toronto, or even a Chicago / Montreal matchup. Nothing is “Classic” about Pittsburgh and Washington.
Well I think that’s enough randomness for the day. At least I have an idea where I want to go post wise over the next few days. Have a great holiday week!