I found this card on eBay a few days ago and have been trying to figure out it’s origin ever since:
Other than the following I haven’t any idea of the back story:
- Issued in 1988 as a one card set.
- I’ve read that it wad a pre-set proof card. However I don’t know the validity of that.
- It’s considered the holy grail of Mattingly cards and that the guy with the most PSA Mattinglys in his collection could only find a PSA 4 version.
- It routinely sell for $100+ on eBay
Things that I want to know about this card:
- What was the purpose behind this card?
- What is with the removing of the MLB logos if Topps had a license?
- Why is the card marked The Topps Company when all 1988 Topps cards say Topps Chewing Gum Co?
- Why is it called “Special World of Baseball Edition”?
- It’s printed as if it was Topps Tiffany, was it printed in Ireland like Tiffany was?
- Why Mattingly? Since Ripken, Ryan, McGwire and Canseco were more popular?
Does anyone have any info on this card? Anything would be appreciated!